Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Truck Trend


Coming out to school in Indiana has been quite a change from the California I grew up in. For one, the culture is different, different words and ideas about things such as politics and food even from what I’m used to (who says pop?). But what I did not fully expect was the change in the car culture.

Or I should say, truck culture.

Where I come from in California people don’t really spend a lot of time doing up their trucks. Nor Cal people mostly just have them to use for whatever, or just to have to one to make up for some inferiority complex they have. The most common thing to do is jack it up a little, maybe chrome if you really are into it. Or low rider Silverado’s.

Not out in the Midwest though. The truck is more than just a tool mobile, it’s a statement.

I was shocked to see the amount of trucks that roam Purdue every day. The diesel beasts are common sights and most all of them have something to make them stand out, or at least not be stock. I see a grounds keeping truck regularly that has antlers on the front and a Purdue P sketchily painted on the side. But really people love their trucks and I love it.

So Cal (Southern California) really just have trucks to have trucks. They live in suburban areas and most of them will never do anything besides haul baseball gear around. I personally find it a weak statement to have a truck for nothing like that, just to have one to look cool or something. There’s a joke about it, “nice truck, sorry about your dick”.

I don’t think that applies to the Midwest at all though. Trucks are just like Mustangs in California, everyone wants one but almost everyone has one out here. What I find interesting is the lack of Ford F series out here. There’s a lot of Doges and Chevy’s, but hardly any Fords. I find this interesting because from what I can see, Fords and Chevy’s make up the bulk of the California truck sales. There really aren’t a lot of those out here. I think that might just be a styling thing, but hey I could be wrong I haven’t been out here long enough to know for sure yet why that difference occurs. There aren’t any Toyota Trucks and I like that, or that Honda Ridgeline garbage. Trucks are meant for work not the city.

I think the difference in appreciation of the vehicle makes it different out here. People know that it’s a work vehicle, out in California it’s just another car people use. I love the trucks out here the things that they do to the trucks out here. You lucky to see a smoke stack in California, here there all over the place and it cracks me up.

Despite the environmental effects of trucks destroying the atmosphere and killing us all, the truck culture here is really cool. Better than California’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment