Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Reason We Drive and Why to Get a Special Car


Oh it was good to be home for Thanksgiving. The food, the family, the peace and quite that a home brings and the serenity of it all is blissful and I’m thankful that I have that to go back to. Its something that I really take for granted, and it’s the reason why I spend the moolah to go see the parents on the holidays.

I don’t drive when I’m at college, I have no car. Plus I’m hardly ever driven because no freshmen have cars. So stepping back into my own was a special moment and I revel in it every time I get the chance to get back behind the wheel of my own special machine.

I asked my dad if he had started the car lately, and he replied with a reassuring “I’m not sure it will even start”. So after that reassuring statement we took the cover off and I opened it up, the musty smell of times forgotten came flowing back to me as I stepped in, the cool leather graced my legs and body as I slipped into the stiff seat. The moment of truth: foot on clutch, key in, heart beating.

I got my car in 2008. I was sitting upstairs watching TV when my brother came pounding up the stairs and yelled “Dude Lebron just made a half court shot you’ve got to see this!” So I went downstairs and he ran out the front door. I didn’t even question why he did that, I just followed him. I turned out the door and had to do a double take. I couldn’t believe it. My car was there: 2007 Roush 427R. Blue with white stripes, the car I had wanted but knew I wouldn’t get. My parents had to make a stretch for it and I appreciate it every day.

My heart was so relieved when I heard my car start last week. It made a couple gurgles and then sprang to life with a bellow of the V8. It was louder than I remembered and I liked it. As I pulled out of the driveway I didn’t miss a beat, hit all the gears, backed out flawlessly, and away I was. It was like riding a bike, I just never forgot how to do it. The power, the pure unadulterated majesty of being free was almost unbearable. I wanted to gun it, and I did when I hit the freeway. Going on in third and then powering into fourth was my pastime. The good old days of high school were back when I would shuttle kids simply because I had the car.

I know why people are passionate about cars, its memories like those. The fun and excitement of it all, the power, the personality, the joy of your own vehicle. I know someone is thinking what a tool, does he really have that car? Who gives a 16 year old that? I got a lot of flack for that at school so I know, I know. But it’s my car, my passion, and my favorite thing to look at. I adore that car because It’s got a little piece of me in it, my heart beats with its.

Over break I was driving home friends and my girlfriend from our high schools football game. My buddy in the front seat said almost instantly, “This brings me back to the days”. We drove to all the football meals that our families hosted every week for two years in that car. The misdirection’s, laughs, hunger and pain we felt was brought back. That car means something to him to.

So when if you want to get someone a car for Christmas, or one for yourself, think about it. Don’t just get the lowest deal and the best mileage. Think about it, make it special for whoever will drive it for however long and make sure they will love it not because of what it is, but because of what it can mean to them.

Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment