Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How to Compare


I recently read an article by Motor Trend. The comparison? A 2011 Mustang GT and a 2011 BMW M3. I hope you’re as confused as I am when you read this.

But when you look at the cars statistically, it makes sense that they would make such a bold comparison to one of Europe’s finest. Both cars were six sped manuals, aluminum v-8’s with only 2 difference in horsepower, practically the same dimensions, both 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, the list goes on and on.

The winner? Well the M3 of course. The decision Motor Trend came up with was basically that the M3 had the better body control and a superior suspension. But what else could you expect from the Bavarian beauty made for autobahn speeds. BMW has had years to perfect and use every piece of technology to tune their precise little beauty. But so has Ford.

I’m critical of this comparison because I have a Mustang. I applaud Ford for their efforts to make the GT a monster on the road and track but that’s not the point of the Mustang. I use the word monster for a reason, and I call the M3 a little beauty for a reason too. Different language is needed because they are completely different cars from completely different worlds.

The Mustang lived through, and in a way was the muscle car era. Based off an engine you could fit a midget in, they were the cars that ruled the road up until gas the crisis. The Mustang is a monster, bred for young kids who want a car all the pretty girls want rides in. It’s the young guns ace in the whole, the piece de resistance, the one thing every kid wants by the time they know what a car is.

The M3 on the other hand is for the business man, CEO, boss, mean guy whose car you want to key. The culture of the cars is different therefore the comparisons need to be made differently. I would like to see the new Mustang vs the Camaro or Challenger. But on the other hand, I like the comparison.

After thinking about it, the comparison is actually really good. Because they are so close on paper, I would want to test them too if I was Motor Trend. Both cars fought valiantly on the track, and I was shocked to see how the results came in so close. The new Mustang GT is fast and well controlled but they said that is was more fun to drive because it’s such a wild ride.

Same for my car, floor it and hold on for dear life as the rpm’s skyrocket to 6000 and shift with a hard left foot on the floor. Snap the clutch up to early and you have to back off while the engine yells at you for ruining its good time. It’s a joy ride that isn’t comparable to any other car I’ve driven. I can’t compare it to the Audi’s I’ve driven because those have a more solid feel to me, a more safe feeling and cutting rather than a battle axe screaming on the pavement waiting for its next unsuspecting corner to be ripped to shreds as 427 horses barrels out of the gates.

If you take anything away from this, please make it this: when your comparing cars don’t be critical of them because they’re not “better” than the other. Think of the past and what the car is supposed to be, not what you want it to be. If it’s not what you want, stop whining and get another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment